Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Thumbprint Cookies

Pin It
I absolutely love Thumbprint cookies (who doesn't?!)
However I have to be honest, I didn't love making them because they were sooo time consuming.
That is until now!
I have the perfect thumbprint recipe below that will give you the most delicious, perfectly shaped cookies and I figured out a way to cut down the amount of time it takes to make them!
(Insert happy dance now...)
I've got some pictures below so you can see what the dough is supposed to look like and how it all comes together.
This is what the dough looks like after everything has been mixed in.
It's kind of like a soft play-doh. 
(Now in other thumbprint recipes you would chill the dough in the fridge and then make the cookies.
I didn't like doing it that way because I always felt like the dough was too hard to work with, and it would always end up softening up when I was rolling the cookies so I'd have to chill them again. 
So, I make the cookies first and then chill them.
Just keep following along to see what I mean...)
As soon as the dough looks like the picture above I grab a 1 Tbsp measuring spoon to scoop out the right amount.
(It's not exact)
 Softly roll it into a ball, and then while holding it in your hand you'll press your thumb down into the cookie.
Place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Space them about an inch apart.
 Then fill them with the jam of your choice.
Make sure it's 'jam' because that's smooth and doesn't have any chunks of fruit or seeds in it.
I use strawberry jam.
 Here's the time saver I was talking about earlier.
After you've added the jam, place the cookie sheet in the fridge and let the cookies chill.
This will only take about a 1/2 hour or so.
They'll feel hard to the touch.
Then put them straight into the preheated oven to bake.
 They spread slightly but held their shape beautifully.
 Once the cookies have cooled a bit you can drizzle a little glaze over them.
*Even though I've made these cookies numerous times, this was actually the first time I did the glaze-we always ate them before I had a chance to do it-it's not necessary the cookies still taste incredible with out it, but it does add a nice visual and a slight extra sweetness.
Don't those look incredible?!
I've got the recipe below for you, let me know if you have any questions!

Ingredients

Cookies
1 c. unsalted butter (softened)
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 c. all purpose flour
jam of your choice

Icing

1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat butter on medium for about 30 seconds - 1 minute (until creamy). Add the sugar, vanilla, and almond extract and continue mixing.
Turn the mixer off and add the flour.
Turn mixer on low and mix well to combine the ingredients. Mix it long enough so the dough comes together.
Scoop about 1 Tbsp of dough into your hands and lightly roll into a ball.
Press your thumb into the top of the ball to make an indent.
Place parchment paper over a cookie sheet and place cookies on parchment paper about 1".
Place cookie sheet in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until the dough feels firm.
Preheat the oven to 350.
Once the oven is ready take the cookies out of the fridge and place directly in the oven.
Bake 12-15 minutes (you want to take them out before they start getting that golden brown color, you want them to still look white. The cookies will look soft but they will firm a little while cooling)
Allow to cool for a minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
To make the glaze you will whisk the 3 ingredients together until smooth. Add more sugar to thicken, add more milk if too thick.
Once cookies have completely cooled you can drizzle with the glaze.

For a printable version of this recipe click here
Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.

    End of lease cleaning
    carpet steam cleaning Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...