Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder

Pin It
First post of the new year and it's a yummy, hearty soup for the cold months we still have ahead!
I, along with everyone else I'm sure, have quite a few recipes that are seasonal.
I only want to make them, or even feel like making them, at certain times of the year.
This chowder is a prime example of that.  I actually crave making this soup on cold winter nights.
As soon as the cold weather starts up this recipe is added to our rotations and it usually makes an appearance once every other week.
I love that it's full of veggies, creamy, flavorful, and filling.
I found this recipe last year on Pinterest and changed it up just a little bit to make it my own.
It's one of the ways I can get my kids to willingly eat broccoli ;)

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. butter
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 white onion chopped
1/3 bag baby carrots, chopped (or 3-4 large carrots)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 or 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 can chicken broth (I like to use the reduced sodium one)
1 1/2 c. water
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 head broccoli, chopped
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat and add carrots, onion, and celery. Cook veggies for about 2-3 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue cooking for another 30 seconds.
Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for about 7 min. Stir occasionally. Add broccoli and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, and heavy cream then add it to the pot and stir everything together. Continue cooking and stirring until it all starts to boil and thicken.
Add shredded cheese and parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and enjoy! 
For a printable version of this recipe click here.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is!!! So flavorful, creamy, and filling!

      Delete
  2. Your Vegetable Chowder looks really good! I love soup on cold days and evenings like today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Vegetable Chowder looks really good! I love soup on cold days and evenings like today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! I would love to have you share this on my linky party -What's for Dinner!
    http://www.lazygastronome.com/whats-for-dinner-sunday-link-up-27/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - that looks amazing! Pinned it to try later. Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good ... especially on the cold days we've been having lately!

    Thanks for sharing at the Tips & Tricks party. That's how I found this post. Be sure to come back again on Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...