Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus

Pin It
Alright, so I am finally getting around to a post here!
That took a lot longer than I anticipated. I was all excited to dive back into blogging, but for the last week I was designing and creating, and I am so excited to post that for you soon, but for now I really wanted to share this amazing recipe!
About a year ago I really wanted to try making hummus.
I searched through recipes to get an idea of how it should all come together and then my husband and I kind of created this one.
I am not going to lie, it is a little time consuming, but the results are SO worth it!!

Ingredients
Approx. 2 c. prepared Garbanzo beans
2 medium red bell peppers, roasted
1 jalepeno, halved and seeded
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 large garlic clove
olive oil
lime juice
salt
pepper
cayenne  pepper
cumin
I've got step by step pictures to show you how this all comes together.
Start out with 1 c. of dried garbanzo beans. (After soaking and cooking the beans will double, so it will end up making about 2 c.)
Place beans in a bowl with about 3 inches of water above the beans and let it soak for a couple of hours or overnight.
After soaking the beans will have expanded.
Drain the water and place the beans in a pot with about 3 inches of water above the beans again. Bring water to a boil and then lower to a medium boil for about 40 minutes or until you can lightly mash the beans with a fork.
Drain the water and shell the garbanzo beans. (This is the part that is time consuming).
Once shelled, place the beans in a food processor.
For the roasted red bell peppers, you can check out another recipe I posted here with step-by-step photos, or read on and I will give you a brief run-through.
First, cut the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet and brush the top with olive oil.
Broil peppers for about 8 minutes. (The skin will start to turn black).
Remove peppers from the oven and place in a brown paper bag for about 10 min. This will steam them and make it easier to remove the skin.
Remove and discard the skin and add the bell peppers to your food processor.
Add the cilantro, lime juice, garlic, about 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp lime juice, and other seasonings.
We haven't really measured the spices, we just taste and add what we need.
Cut the jalepeno in-half and remove and discard all of the seeds, then add the jalepeno to the food processor.
Puree everything together, and make sure to taste it and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
You want the consistency to look similar to this.
And you are ready to enjoy!
You can eat the hummus how ever you prefer.
We love to fill pita bread with the hummus, grilled chicken, and fresh tomatoes from the garden.
It's so good! I will make sure to post that recipe in the future.
Refrigerate the leftovers for a couple of days.

Let me know if you have any questions!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, that looks delicious! I can see where it's time consuming but worth it for some yummy Hummus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have put together a great tutorial on making hummus. Roasted Red Bell pepper hummus is one of my favorite. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...