Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Zucchini Raisin Bread

Pin It
This is the first year we don't have our own garden :(.  It's kind of sad.  I miss going out there everyday looking for new fruits or veggies that are ripe and ready to eat.  One of the things we planted every year was zucchini.  I learned very quickly that I needed to have a good zucchini bread recipe, because we would get A LOT of zucchini.  I found this recipe a long time ago, and over the years I have experimented with it, and changed it.  Thank you to my father-in-law for giving us some zucchini from his garden so I could make some yummy bread!
Warning:  I lost the charger for our camera, so all these pictures were taken with my phone, sorry about the quailty...

Zucchini Raisin Bread
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c. applesauce (I like to buy the no sugar added applesauce in the individual serving cups, and one serving cup is a 1/2 c.  Also, if you don't have any applesauce on hand, you can use 1 c. vegetable oil instead. The applesauce just keeps it a little more healthy).
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 3/4 c. sugar
  • 3 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 2 c. grated zucchini
  • 1 c. raisins
Directions:
Combine oil, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, and sugar.  (My son always helps out with the mixing, so I wanted to take a picture for you).
 Next, add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix well.
 Batter will be slightly thick.
If you don't already have shredded zucchini, that's the next step...two small zucchini's are about 2 c. shredded.  
*Here is a huge helpful tip:  If you get a lot of zucchini from your garden at once, I like to put it all in the food processor, and then place 2 c. in Ziplock freezer bags and freeze them.  That way the zucchini will last a long time, and when you're ready to make bread again, you pull out a bag, defrost it, and you have the correct measured amount for the recipe.*
Cut off the ends, and then cut them into sections so they will fit in the top of the food processor.  Use the grater attachment.
Next, add the shredded zucchini and the raisins to the batter and mix well.  Pour into two greased bread pans.
 Bake at 325 for 55-60 minutes.
Let the bread cool for about 10 min. in the pan on a cooling rack, then run a spatula around the edges and turn over, and the bread will come right out.  You can eat the bread right away, or wrap it up in tin-foil and save for later!
Hope you enjoy!!

For a printable version of this recipe click here.

5 comments:

  1. This brings back childhood memories for me too - we had a veggie patch and always had way too many zucchinis. Mum was forever forcing zucchini soup and bread and ratatouille on us! When we finally settle down in our own house I'm going to plant zucchini too - I don't want my kids to miss out on this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try Ratatouille...is it easy? Difficult? I think gardens are such a great experience for kids. I loved showing my son how things grow, where veggies come from, and I love that it's so fresh and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy, just a bit dish intensive, as the secret to a yummy ratatouille (rather than a hot mess of vegetables) is to cook each veggie separately and then layer them together. So I would do tomatoes, zuchs, eggplant, onions, with olive oil and maybe a little salt, pepper, oragano and slow cook until they are melting, and then layer them in another dish and serve. That's my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm...sounds delicious! I will do it...sometime hopefully in the near future!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...